eleven stories high

Hello and welcome to eleven stories high. Please login to continue.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

eleven stories high

Hello and welcome to eleven stories high. Please login to continue.

eleven stories high

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

a life in the classroom, living under the desks.

baretteknee
    baretteknee
    Newcomer

a life in the classroom, living under the desks. - Page 3 Empty Re: a life in the classroom, living under the desks.

Post by baretteknee Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:42 pm

The touch to her shoulder made the woman visibly jump. A part of her expected it and yet another part felt as though Stella wouldn't dare touch her, considering she was very clearly opposed to it. After a few moments of silence, Diana tilted her head to look at Stella with a small grin. "Thank you, you're very sweet. I guess I never really understood what I didn't have until you came along. When I thought about my disease and how I just snap over nothing, I began to see how people tend to hate me so easily. I just don't want you to." She paused, looking at herself in the mirror, the sight of her drying tears and quivering lip created far too much self-pity in her body.

"Really, I didn't mean to snap at you or break down like this in front of you. Now you have first hand experience, though. I understand if you don't want to be around me. Really, I don't think I would want to either." Clearly she didn't mind if Stella chose to hang around the other faculty members, or anybody besides her in general. "But just...if you're going to leave me alone, don't do it until tomorrow." As if explaining why, Diana began to slowly move towards Stella, wrapping her arms around the woman and burying her head against her shoulder.

This was a nervous movement, something she had never done before. Mostly it was her way of telling Stella that comfort was appreciated. She wanted somebody there for her and she was finally understanding that Stella could be the only person who cared for her...if she didn't leave, of course. "You probably want to...think this over or something." She said as she lifted her head, afraid of staining the woman's shirt. "I mean, it's not everyday that a woman asks you out on a date and then breaks down over it. Confusing, I know."
    Paige
    Paige
    Newcomer

a life in the classroom, living under the desks. - Page 3 Empty Re: a life in the classroom, living under the desks.

Post by Paige Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:01 pm

The hug was not expected and Stella's heart jolted considerably when Diana approached her. Cautiously bringing her arms around the woman's back, Stella couldn't help but smile. They had come a long way in just a few hours! Proud of Diana, Stella couldn't help but grin just a bit more happily. She let her talk for a few minutes, letting a pause of silence fall before she responded. If there was anything she wanted to do, it was let Diana know that she didn't want to go anywhere else. Right here was perfectly fine, and everything from the heartfelt conversation to the close hug they were sharing made this one of those moments Stella lived for. Such a raw human emotion.

"I don't want to go anywhere, Diana. I don't have any interest in hanging around any other people." Stella was determined to get this through to her, and to show her, and to prove to her that Stella wanted to be Diana's friend. "I don't care how confusing it is, I just want to understand you. Let me be your friend, let me help you in any way I can. I don't care if it's just being here or talking, or just accompanying you wherever you want to go."

Stella didn't want to let the hug go, for fear of the warmth that Diana provided would go away and she'd be left cold again. Hugging someone seemed so juvenile and immature, but it was the best feeling in the world. Well, maybe not the best, but Stella loved hugging people. Anyone and everything could always use a hug. Tilting her head toward Diana's, Stella lifted a hand and lightly pushed a piece of hair out of the tears way.
    baretteknee
    baretteknee
    Newcomer

Post by baretteknee Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:14 pm

The woman listened, happy her cheeks were already flushed due to the crying. Those words falling from Stella's lips would have created the heavist of blushes across her cheeks. Maybe it wasn't a fairytale, this new friend she seemed to have made. This woman seemed to genuinely enjoy her company and Diana was grateful for that. As Stella pushed a strand of hair away from her face, she leaned forwards slightly, compelled to bring her face closer. Maybe if their lips just touched once, that craving for somebody would just go away...

The door opened and Diana jumped backwards, hitting the papertowel dispenser before slidng sideways to hit the wall. In the midst of this, her pill box had popped out of her pocket, smashing to the ground. Thankfully it didn't open. She wiped at her eyes as Nadine Warner, the Science department leader, next years new Principal and school Gossip Queen, walked into the faculty bathroom. She was a strong woman with a husband and two kids, beautiful, successful. Her life was absolutely perfect, in Diana's point of view.

"Oh. Did I interrupt something?" She asked, eyebrows raising as Diana seemed frozen with fear. "You look sad. Forget to take your meds today?" Although she was cruelly joking and had no idea about her illness, Diana still felt thecomment stab her heart.

"N-no. I'm fine. I was just-" Nadine didn't care and Di shut her mouth as she realized the other woman wasn't listening. She crouched down to pick up the pill box, handing it out to the now shaking Diana. "Here." After a moment of not moving, Nadine growled, "Take it!"

"S-sorry. Right." Di placed it back in her pocket, lowering her eyes to the floor.
    Paige
    Paige
    Newcomer

Post by Paige Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:00 pm

Stella wasn't even having a coherent thought anymore. They were just so close in that moment, she was dizzy. With their lips almost touching like that, is was almost as if the universe was begging Stella to kiss her, to kiss Diana. What would happen if they did? Things would surely change. Would they be more then friends? Were both of them so desperate for human contact? Stella just liked being physical. Was that possible that they could maintain a relationship?

The opening of the door didn't really phase Stella until Diana was well away from her. Turning slowly, she saw a woman she didn't really know, only had seen around. Raising her own eyebrow slowly, Stella plastered herself against the wall until this woman tried to offer the pill box back to Diana. Taking a step forward, she opened her mouth and then quickly swallowed hard. Getting fed up quickly, Stella took it upon herself to place herself between Nadine and Diana. Putting her harsher smile on (though this woman wouldn't know the difference), Stella stuck her hand out.

"Hi, I'm Stella Harper, filling in for a teacher on maternity leave." Something about her voice was forceful and powerful. "I've seen you around here, kinda figured you were someone important." She shrugged a bit, rolling her eyes condescendingly. "But when the principal introduced me to the higher staff, he must have missed you." There was a quick glance towards Diana without any head movement from Stella, and she was just trying to get rid of this woman before any more damage was done.
    baretteknee
    baretteknee
    Newcomer

Post by baretteknee Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:18 pm

This new side of Stella intrigued Diana and she found herself staring, forgetting Nadine was even there. Was she sticking up for the weaker woman? Clearly. It made Diana feel warm, welcome and safe in that little bathroom setting. This was such a new situation! The voice, angry, harsh and taunting, brought her snapping her attention towards Nadine, who was acting all prim and proper. What a stupid little fake!

"You're sticking up for this sorry excuse for a teacher? You know they're tossing around the idea of firing her. The principal has his weird attachment to her but, overall, he isn't too sure if it's worth the freak outs. I bet she hasn't told you about what she did to-"

"No!" Diana yelped, wide eyed and pale. "P-please, Nadine. It's in the past." The situation wasn't something that would kill her or even make Stella think anything different of her, she hoped, but it was still a terrible peice of history.

"Last year she threw a desk at the principle during an open house event." The woman hurriedly gossiped against Diana's begging. It was before she had been prescribed working medication, before they fully knew what was wrong with her. Nadine smirked, stepping to the sink to reapply makeup that had faded. "Thought you should know. I'm sure she has a darker history but that's all I know about." She poke as though Diana wasn't there. As Nadine was peoccupied staring at herself, Diana reached out and lightly grasped at Stella's wrist, nodding towards the door.

Letting go, she found herself walking away from Nadine's snickering and quickly into the open halway and towards her room. Once in the safety of painted stars and the smell of crayons, Diana let out a loud sigh of frustration. This school was just...it just sucked sometimes.
    Paige
    Paige
    Newcomer

Post by Paige Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:02 pm

"Who said I was sticking up for anyone?" Stella snorted, tossing her hair in a sophisticated manner. Oh how she liked playing up drama. "I'm introducing myself." Dropping her hand and sticking up her nose, Stella glared down at the other woman. Ignoring the comment about firing Diana, Stella knew they wouldn't do that. She was a good teacher and students liked her, no matter what this Nadine woman was saying. Stella sniffed indignantly. This was all high school bullshit all over again and she really didn't have time for it. No wonder Diana didn't spend time around these people. They just weren't worth it.

"A desk?" Stella glanced to Diana, wide-eyed. Her snobby approach was abandoned, replaced with an expression of awe. No offense to Diana, but she didn't look all that strong. To really throw a desk? Stella was impressed, and her expression looked it. Quickly shaking it off at the slight wrist touch, Stella flicked her hair again. "Hm, well I don't quite know. She's the only one thats been remotely friendly since I started teaching here. I thought the suburbs would be a little different then the city. But I guess there's stuck up people everywhere." The way Stella said it as she floated out the bathroom door, seemed as if it wasn't directed towards Nadine but more towards the rest of the school.

Out in the hallway, Stella started back towards Diana's room, looking down at her wrist and grabbing it herself with her own fingers. There was something warm about Diana's touch that Stella couldn't get enough of. Curling her hands into fists, Stella pushed that to the back of her mind, stepping into Diana's room again. She gave a worried glance to the other woman, becoming wary and cautious again. "Are you okay? She was a huge bitch."
    baretteknee
    baretteknee
    Newcomer

Post by baretteknee Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:26 pm

"I know she's a-" Diana paused, controlling herself. Normally she didn't swear and earlier, when she had, was really against what she stood for. "I already know that." Slowly she turned to face Stella, feeling much more comfortable around the woman and yet feeling highly awkward. They had been about to kiss, every touch contributed to the constant shaking Diana seemed to be putting up with. Who knew what could happen?

"I'm fine, though. I honestly don't think she could say anything to make me upset. Really, I was already at my breaking point. By tomorrow there will be rumors about us making out in a bathroom or worse, who knows. Just know that it will happen." She paused, chewing on her fingernails again. "You should go. If nobody sees you with me then the rumors will die out fast." One nod and she was speaking again, peeling off her light gray jacket, full with the pink rose pin. Tossing it on her chair, she fixed at her pink buton up blouse and turnd back towards Stella. It was clear she planned on staying in her classroom for some time.

"Go, go! Before somebody sees you and starts making up stupid things about kissing in the classroom. Then we'll both be fired." She knew of the rumored firing floating around the school and aiming towards her. It had been goingaround since she threw the desk but she had taken the principal aside after being forced to attend numerous appointments. He knew about her issue and he did like her, despite his harsh front. Let the faculty think what they wanted.
    Paige
    Paige
    Newcomer

Post by Paige Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:37 pm

"Let them think that." Stella said with a firey passion. "So what? Rumors are fun. We could do some crazy shit and make them think even more things!" It seemed like such a game to her. Like the could bust out of a closet and go 'haha just kidding!' because in Stella's world, everything would work like that. Everyone would laugh at jokes and everyone would be happy with one another. And this was just a cruel game they played on Diana and one day, Stella would make sure of it, the joke will just be on the other teachers. Stella was going to make Diana's life a happy hell, if it had to be a hell at all.

At the pushy words toward the door, Stella's face dropped considerably. She didn't quite want to leave and yet Diana was so paranoid about someone saying something about them together that she reluctantly paused in the doorway. "O-okay. I'll see you tomorrow?" It was left as a question, although Stella flashed a small smile, with a few hinted undertones in her expression. They meant nothing, of course, other then Stella would indeed see Diana tomorrow. She'd make sure that she had at least one conversation throughout the day.

With a final wave, Stella was strutting off toward her own classroom to gather her things to take home. In a relatively good mood, it wasn't she had reached the room and was putting things in her bag that Stella realized why she was so happy. The rumors didn't bother her. So many things had been said at her old school that Stella just ended up living the rumors anyway. From the fact that she was a lesbian to the fact she loved black coffee. Everything from stickers to books had been said about her and Stella didn't really mind. But that was high school. This was different.

But back to her being in a good mood, it was all because of Diana. They had been so close just now. It was that raw human emotion Stella fed off of. Something called to her to help out people like Diana. And it wasn't so much as they needing her, but Stella needed them. It gave her a purpose in life, to find these lost souls and give them a place in this world. Stella was here to help Diana, she just knew it.
    baretteknee
    baretteknee
    Newcomer

Post by baretteknee Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:52 pm

Stella was gone only a few moments later, leaving Diana to her destructive thoughts. Although the pill she had taken earlier was beginning to take effect, the woman couldn't help but hate herself for letting Nadine get to her like that. It was ridiculous, the other faculty members treating her like the stereotypical geek of high school when she was just struggling with a difference they didn't understand. As the time flew past, Di found her thoughts jumping from Nadine to Stella to stars and back to Stella. Soon it was late, all teachers had gone (that she knew of) and Di was left alone in her empty classroom surrounded by an equally empty school.

Reaching out, she bypassed her keys and touched the homemade pins Stella had given her earlier that day. What a sweet offering! What did Diana do in return? Yes, she had originally given Stella a sticker but what was that honestly worth? Standing with a new ambition, Diana left her room and headed towards Stella's before realizing that her door would be locked. The janitors had gone hours ago, home to their families. Well, then, she would leave something on the door instead. Turning on her pink little heels, Diana made her way back into her own classroom to work on a project that ended up taking much longer than expected. At midnight she emerged holding a very raw mobile. That was the great thing about teaching third graders, it was easy to make crafts.

Hanging from the strings and line of coat hanger wire were stars decorated with stickers and glitter. The largest star, decorated with gold glitter, had 'thank you' written across the middle in black magic marker. Hopefully she would understand what was meant by that. Thank you for being a friend, for sticking up for her...for everything. Hell, hopefully she would know it was from her. After carefully hanging it on the other woman's door, Diana decided to lie in her room for a bit, staring up at the stars in the dark using her jacket as a pillow.

She didn't realize she had fallen asleep and was still asleep when other teachers began to file into the school, ignoring her room.
    Paige
    Paige
    Newcomer

Post by Paige Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:56 pm

Stella had gathered her stuff and headed home, this night she decided to spend alone at her apartment, closer to the city. The place was rather empty and no pictures graced the walls or counters. Just two rooms; one main with a half-kitchen, and then a bathroom. The bed was basically just the couch, considering it pulled out, and the most else Stella had in there was a tv and a small dresser, as well as about ten unpacked boxes gathering dust in the corner. Pulling out the couch, Stella threw some pillows on it while she tossed her clothes in another corner. By the time she turned on the hot water in the bathroom, her clothes had made a trail towards the open door.

The night passed quickly, and Stella slept for the most part, thinking of Diana all the while. The morning found her up earlier then usual, considering she was eager to get out of her lonely apartment. It was a wonder she didn't sell the place and move into her parents house completely again. But sometimes the alone time was needed. And besides, she never knew when she would actually make the place her own, or even find somewhere better to live. Still, she was left thinking of Diana and where she spent her nights. Something pulled Stella to the school a little bit earlier then usual and she was even dressed welll in a black pencil skirt and pressed white button up shirt.

Putting the key in the knob, Stella noticed the mobile on her classroom door. Grinning brightly, she murmured a quiet 'aw' to herself, toes curling at the sweet gesture. It could only be from Diana, considering no one else seemed to be around, and she didn't do anything for anyone else around here. Not that Stella wanted a thanks or anything for her actions. She was doing this because she felt she wanted to so much she had to, not the other way around. Fingering the pointed edge and admiring the glittter, Stella almost tripped over a few things before she made it to her desk. Taking her short heels off to stand on a chair, Stella pinned it above her desk. Some of the glitter fluttered to the ground, and by the time Stella had her shoes back on, she was glancing at the clock. Plenty of time to thank Diana in person.

Happily strutting through the hallway, Stella gave a smile to everyone she passed, if she knew them or not. Most of them she didn't know, which was okay, and they seemed rather polite back, probably out of surprise. Finding Diana's room only bright with early morning light, Stella tilted her head curiously, not seeing the other woman walking about. Standing on her toes to see in the glass, Stella could see Diana's shoes on the ground. Following this, she could only tell that Diana was laying on the ground. Confused, and more worried then she'd like to admit, Stella threw the door open, shuffling inside.

"Diana?" Wide eyed and cautious, Stella stepped over to the other woman. Bending down next to her, she gently shook her shoulder. "Diana, are you okay?"
    baretteknee
    baretteknee
    Newcomer

Post by baretteknee Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:15 pm

There were stars everywhere, filtering in and out of a blurry-white vision. It felt like she was underwater but had miraculously gained the ability to beathe. Staring at the specks floating in a white, blue and gold background, Diana found herself feeling more relaxed than she had ever felt in her entire life. Eyes wide and staring, she found her hands were glowing and pale, her hair swam around her face, caressing her cheeks and neck. Tickling at her thighs was a dress she had never seen before, black and glittering, knee length. Somehow the short dress felt almost freeing, despite the fact that outside of her dream she never would have worn it.

A familiar voice pulled her out of the comforting dream. Diana moaned, allowing her eyes to flutter open and take in the face of a very worried looking Stella. "I'm f-fine." She murmured, pulling herself up onto her elbows. "I just fell asleep, I guess." After a yawn and slight stretch, Di used the nearest table to pull herself into a standing position. "I...my clothes, crap." Crouching behind her desk, Diana pulled out a new blouse. It was gray and pinstriped, something she kept for emergencies. Thankfully there was enough time to talk to Stella, change and brush out the curls of her hair.

"Thank you for waking me up. I could only imagine what would happen if the kids or the principal found me or something." A slight shudder and Di found her pill box amongst the trash and constrution paper littering her desk. Swallowing a pill, Di rubbed at her tired face.
    It had been a long night.
    Paige
    Paige
    Newcomer

Post by Paige Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:58 pm

Breathing a sigh of relief, Stella stood up, about to offer Diana a hand but she was already using the table. Taking a few steps backward, she awkwardly brought her arm around her middle to grasp her other arm. She bit her lip, clearly more worried then she should have been, but Stella couldn't help it. She always showed her emotions on her face, if she wanted to or not. It was just something she couldn't help, and it wasn't like she was totally opposed to the idea anyway.

Shifting herself to lean against one of the desks, Stella held back, despite her skin's protest to be close to Diana. For whatever reason, she wanted to stay with the other woman all day and just talk to her. Be close to her. With a visible shake of her head, Stella cleared her throat, glancing down at the ground. She smiled then. "I really just came to thank you for the gorgeous mobile. It was thoughtful, and you really didn't have to." Drawing absentminded figures on the desk with her finger tips, Stella only glanced up at Diana then, smiling away.

"I put it above my desk, so I can look at it all the time. I really love it." She grinned, standing up straight with a sudden jolt of energy. Stella watched Diana and noted her tired appearance. She almost wished it was the weekend now and not for her sake, but for Diana's. The days just went by so quickly there was no time to relax. A minor look of concern on her face, Stella tilted her head slightly. "Can I get you anything? A coffee or something?" She hesitated before adding with a laugh, "I could use one myself anyway."
    baretteknee
    baretteknee
    Newcomer

Post by baretteknee Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:17 pm

"I'm really glad you like it because I worked hard. I just thought I should thank you for everything you have done in the past two days. Gosh, it's only been two days!" She laughed a bit, gripping the material of her new shirt while sifting through the items on her desk to find her keys again. Walking across the room, she used the smallest copper key to open the cabinet which held more expensive items that she couldn't replace as easily as pencils and paper. Books, two emergency laptops and a tape player. Pulling out the player, she moved it to the first table and led the cord across to the plug. Due to her exhaustion, the kids would listen to a tape read their short story of the day instead of her.

"Thank you for the offer, but no. I may love the taste of coffee but I was specifically told to cut back due to the pills. Counteracting wth caffeine and such." She shrugged, moving towards Stella to place a hand on her forearm tentatively. This was her new project, physical touch. "Thank you again, though." Turning quickly, Diana made her way back to her desk, pushing the construction paper scraps into the tiny trashbin sitting besides her. Glancing up at the clock, she was surprised to see there was still so much time left.

"I don't want you to consider me your project or something. Really, I don't need help and I don't want help." She paused, staring over at Stella. "So if you're befriending me because you think you can make everybody else like me or you can make my life less shitty, don't. I only want you as friend if you genuinely want to be my friend." She wasn't accusing or anything, just stating her opinion.
    Paige
    Paige
    Newcomer

Post by Paige Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:47 pm

"Two days, yeah." Stella echoed with a grin, thinking of the pretty stars now hanging above her desk. She'd always see them and think of Diana. The hard work really showed, and Stella really appreciated the gift even though she didn't do all that much for her. It was all natural on her part and she hadn't expected anything in return. Stella didn't want anything in return. Just the friendship was enough for Stella to continue being nice to Diana. She was going to keep inviting her places and being there to talk to her.

Shrugging at the declined offer of coffee, Stella could understand that. She was looking away when Diana touched her, and so the contact came as a surprise. Snapping her eyes up to look at her, Stella's grin quavered a bit as she tried not to be exhuberently happy at the light touch. It made her feel warm and nice that Diana was working on it. Even though she moved before Stella had time to react back, Stella was still happy it happened in the first place. She gave a wiggle of excitement, even though Diana's next words were rather negative.

"Project?" Stella almost laughed. "Diana, I want to be your friend because I think you're an intelligent person and a gorgeous woman, and an amazing teacher. You're not like the other people here, who don't seem to be all that great." She paused for a slight breath. "I do, I do want to genuinely be your friend." It sounded so childish and kiddish, but she didn't even care. Stella ignored the cold feeling she got from Diana, because she was determined to not get pushed away. Did Diana not believe her for some reason? "I'll never give you a reason to doubt that."
    baretteknee
    baretteknee
    Newcomer

Post by baretteknee Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:50 pm

It wasn't that Diana didn't believe Stella, she just had issues trusting another person who seemed to be way too good to be true. This was a fairytale, really, and Stella could disappear at any second! "Thank you." She finally murmured after her desk was clear and she had nothing left to do in order to busy herself. "I don't want to doubt it...no, I don't doubt it at all." Di was a terrible liar but for once her face was blank of emotion, too afraid to show her true feelings. She wasn't going to push Stella away on purpose. That would be one situation she would never, ever live down.

"Can I ask something?" She asked after a moment of silent thinking. "Yesterday, in the bathroom, what was about to happen? I mean, I know Nadine came in and I understand that she hates me and probably hates you too, now." Di paused, weighing her words carefully. What would happen if she brought this up? Would it bring them closer or push them apart or do nothing at all? "Before that...we were about to...about to...kiss." The last word was spit out as though it was the worst word in the world. As if it had some terrible meaning or was deragatory.

If Nadine hadn't of come in, their lips would have touched. Diana had leaned forwards first, she started it! Now she was going to end it. Kissing Stella had never been planned. Although she had half asked her on a date, Di didn't feel the need for physical contact. She wasn't desperate, she liked being alone in some sense. Right? No...oh, she didn't know! Yes, she wanted somebody there for her and yes she wanted a physical relationship but did she want an intimate one? One with love and kisses and happiness? No. Maybe. Ugh.
    Paige
    Paige
    Newcomer

Post by Paige Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:38 pm

Stella was smiling plesantly for a few minutes, occassionally glancing up at Diana as she spoke. The first part was relatively dry and emotionless, like Diana couldn't make up her mind. Which made Stella decided that she was going to gain Diana's trust, doing whatever it took. In any relationship, friendship or otherwise, trust was important. How could you be sure that the other person wasn't turning around and selling you out to the enemy? How could you be sure that the other person wasn't just using you for something? There had to be trust. Stella, who probably gave it out easilier then most, already trusted Diana. Maybe not with deep dark secrets (not that she had any) but with mostly anything.

The topic change and starting sentence had Stella glancing up again, instead of focusing on her nailbeds as she had been doing. As the words were leading up to 'kiss', Stella was growing a deep shade of pink and already going into several nervous manuvers. Flexing her fingers, she ran them through her hair, shrugging her shoulders lightly and fixating on a spot on the floor. Stella flashed a slight grin and she tried to hide her cheeks behind her hand, but it didn't quite work. Damn it, Nadine.

"Uh," Stella laughed nervously again, switching weight from one foot to the other. Finally she had been able to keep the color of her face under control, and it was only lightly blushed now. She really hadn't thought that Diana would bring up that portion of their actions. Stella could feel her palms sweating slightly and her heart beating faster then before. "I-I guess we were... yeah, about to k-kiss." Finally she was able to make eye-contact with the other woman. "I don't know how or why, but I wasn't going to be opposed to it..." Hopefully Diana thought somewhere about the same.
    baretteknee
    baretteknee
    Newcomer

Post by baretteknee Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:02 pm

Would Diana have been opposed to a simple kiss? Honestly, she wasn't sure. At the time, most likely not. The chemistry between the two seconds before she had begun to lean in was thick and strong. That moment was needed, forced onto them by invisible powers. Afterwards she would have questioned herself, would have thrown a fit and broken the closest thing to her. Something would of snapped within her, breaking the distance she forced between herself and others. Maybe that was for the better, though. After all, if she broke the boundary then it would take years to rebuild. Then she wouldn't be the most hated person in the world. But, still, it didn't happen.

"You sound like me a bit, stuttering and all." Diana smiled crookedly, which seemed to be her trademark. "You weren't opposed to it? So you wanted to kiss me." Well, in the moment they had wanted to kiss each other. Was that how it was supposed to happen? Whenever she had kissed Randy, she felt almost nothing. The first kiss was passionate and nervous but not overhelming and needed. It didn't feel like the almost kiss Stella and herself had shared. Ugh! No, this is stupid...Her mind began to criticise her thinking. Stupid for wanting Stella to kiss her, stupid for expecting anything of the other woman. Stupid to expect it might work out. Stupid to expect her mind would get over the disease.

"I'm screwed up." She finally spoke, twisting the fabric of her emergency shirt. "Anyways I need to change and the kids will be coming in soon." She motioned towards the clock before stepping towards the door. "But lets not swich roles, alright? I'm used to be the quiet idiot in the corner. Go back to be the bubbly one." Di smiled at her stupid joke.
    Paige
    Paige
    Newcomer

Post by Paige Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:07 pm

Stella didn't know what she would have done if they kissed. She wouldn't have been- and still wasn't- opposed to the option, but where did it leave them? Hanging somewhere between friends and lovers for how long? Would they ever choose? What if they had chosen friends? Would they even work out as lovers? There wasn't any way to tell now. Unless.. well unless they got in the same position again and actually kissed this time. It would be interesting, and Stella would have to decide if she wanted to go through with it.

"Oh, sorry." Stella laughed again, the nervousness going away a little bit. It was still there though, but it wasn't about being insecure about the kiss or Diana or anything. The nervousness was more about Diana running from the situation. Stella wanted to be around Diana more. Taking a deep breath, she calmed herself, looking at the clock now too. Ah right, she actually had to teach and work today. Stepping toward the door, Stella gave Diana a warm smile. "Yeah, I wanted to kiss you." She nodded, confirming her own thoughts.

"You're not screwed up!" Stella protested, raising her eyesbrows as she paused near the door. "There's nothing wrong with being different, Diana. We're all different." Shrugging, Stella tapped her palm against the doorframe, not quite wanting to leave. But the bell rang then, signaling that the students would be filling the hallways. Before she knew what she was doing, Stella was taking big strides toward the other woman and reached out to her arm, toughing it lightly. A confident smile started on her lips, and then Stella pressed her lips gently to Diana's cheek. Quickly and swiftly, Stella backed away then, giving one last wave, smiling as she made her way down the hallway.
    baretteknee
    baretteknee
    Newcomer

Post by baretteknee Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:50 pm

As Stella took steps forwards, Diana's eyes widen with fear. Was the other woman going to kiss her? No! Though breaking a boundary or two would be helpful in the long run, she wasn't ready for it to happen just yet. Especially not with her students filing into the hallway as she stood there. Cringing a bit as Stella's lips touched her cheek, Di refused to open her eyes until the door had clicked shut behind the other teacher. Would she even be able to look at Stella later? Depended on the consuming of little white pills, really.

Opening the door just as her students came in, Diana moved out of the way and ushered them inside. "I will be right back. Make sure to sit quietly and listen to the morning announcements. If I find out you were loud, you wil have extra homework tonight!" An empty threat but the students didn't know that. They sat in their respective seats and quietly stared around until she was out of sight. Who knows what they did after that.

In the bathroom she changed her shirt and brushed out her hair with her fingers, wiping at the smudged eyeliner until it was a dull, thin line. It only took a few minutes and so she paused as she was passing Stella's room, staring in through the window on the door. She was beautiful...oh, GOD. Quickly she walked back to her classroom, mentally abusing herself for thinking that. "Okay class. We're going to read your short story now, open your books." She pressed play on the tape recorder, ignoring the moans of boredom and protest. As they read, she took one of the pins Stella had given her and clipped it to the breast of her shirt.
    Paige
    Paige
    Newcomer

Post by Paige Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:15 pm

Flustered, confused, and hardly able to keep her feet on the ground, Stella rushed back to her classroom and arrived just in time. "Good morning class!" She greeted the kids brightly, and they offered the 'Good morning, Ms. Harper' in a dull monotone drone in response. "What a beautiful day, isn't it?" The sunlight was streaming through the windows, and half of the kids looked hardly awake for this kind of chit-chat. Stella knew she wasn't really talking to them, but over them, and well, that's just how elementary school worked.

Glancing toward the door as the morning announcments started, Stella could have sworn she saw Diana standing there. Oh God, that's what she got for skipping the morning coffee, hallucinations. Shaking it off with the grin, Stella occupied herself with her students and the classwork. Starting it off with an easy worksheet, Stella then read a story to the kids, sounding as enthusiastic as ever- if not more. Something- someone- had Stella in a very bright mood. It was effecting the kids to the point where they were even offering to read parts of the short story.

After handing out a worksheet and playing some soft mello music from her computer as the students completed it, Stella moved the class onto math, working on multiplication tables right up until the lunch bell rang. All wrapped up in teaching (as usual), Stella looked up in surprise at the clock.

"Oh, wow, lunch time already. Okay kids, go ahead!" And it was like the kids were turned to a different channel as they scrambled toward the door. Finding herself rather alone, Stella was left with her thoughts. They ventured toward the open door as she sat at her desk, and she wondered what Diana was doing for lunch. But Stella wondered if she should leave her alone for once because the last thing she wanted to seem was obnoxious.
    baretteknee
    baretteknee
    Newcomer

Post by baretteknee Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:06 am

"Walk! Why do you guys always run?" Diana exclaimed, ushering the kids from the classroom as the bell rang. Not that they needed to be told twice. The morning had flown past for her but for them? Slowest day ever. Once the last student had passed through the threshold of her door, the older woman sank back into her chair, letting out a sigh of relief. A good forty minutes of freedom to think. Twenty to lunch, twenty to recess - for the kids, of course. But what to do as she waited? Eat lunch, yes, but what else?

There was Stella. After the kiss to her cheek, though., Diana felt a bit scared of herself. She hadn't thought much about it, although she had thought of Stella in general. How nice the pin was, how nice she was.

Not the kiss.

Eventually she stood, grabbing her wallet and making her way far from the safety of her own classroom. She would invite Stella to the lounge for lunch, considering she had never gone home to make her own. Vending machines rocked in times such as these. Knocking once on her door, Di stepped in and stared up at the very familiar mobile hanging over the desk.

"Nice looking stars, if I do say so myself." She smiled cautiously, shifting weight from foot to foot. "Would you like to grab lunch? I obviously didn't have any time to make my own so I figure I'll raid the vending machines." And the community fruit basket and mini fridge of water. "If you'd like to join." She edged towards the door slightly, smiling.
    Paige
    Paige
    Newcomer

Post by Paige Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:42 am

Stella looked up from her desk with a slightly surprised expression. Was she hallucinating again? No, this confident Diana was indeed standing right in front of her. A smile replaced the surprise quickly, and Stella reached for her purse. "Sure, I'd love to." Pulling a few dollars from her wallet, Stella stood, smoothing her skirt. Diana seemed to be in a good mood, which made Stella happy. She seemed sure of herself, something Stella was slightly surprised to see. It was a good thing! And it meant that there was no awkward tension between them.

Walking around to the other side of the desk, Stella grinned brightly, folding the few dollars between her fingertips. "Yes, the stars are very nice looking." She agreed, glancing back at them. Walking next to Diana towards the staff lounge, Stella found herself slightly out of things to say. Which was strange for her. Was she the one being awkward? That would be a change. And not one Stella liked to embrace.

"So are we still on for the planetarium this weekend?" Stella asked, giving Diana a side glance. "I really would like to go. I've never really bothered much with museums or anything... and it seems interesting. Hey, if its good, we should plan a field trip there! Do you think the kids would like it?" Her face brightened as she turned toward Diana, at the same time holding open the lounge door. Teachers were already in there, but Stella wasn't paying any attention whatsoever. They could whisper and stare all they wanted, but Stella was already blacklisted.
    baretteknee
    baretteknee
    Newcomer

Post by baretteknee Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:13 pm

For once the awkward behavior had derived from the woman opposite her and not Diana herself. Woah. She never realized how weird the tension between two people was when one was exhibiting awkward behavior. Maybe she should seriously think about cutting back on her end of the attitude. Or, well, possibly it wasn't done on purpose and no matter how hard she hoped and thought about it, the awkwardness would still be there. Was that even a word? Awkwardness...

"The planetarium." Diana repeated, chewing over the word and picking through excuses on why they would not be able to go together. Ever. "Maybe you should take your students there next week at some point, huh? I'm sure they would enjoy it a lot." The teachers who were already in the lounge didn't look up at first, as they were all crowded around Nadine. Eventually each one looked up with a snicker as they spotted the two women enter. The Principal, at the center of the group, immediately crossed the room and grasped Diana's arm, leading her back out the door without a glance at Stella.

"How long have you been with her?"

"I d-don't even know...what?" Di stuttered, trying to grasp the concept. "Why are you e-even in here?!"

"I took a break. Diana, how long have you been sleeping with her?"

"I never slept with her!" She gasped, making a horrified face.

"You move on quite fast-" He hissed.

"You're married. Which you know I never knew so that barely ever counted as anything-"

"We had a relationship."

"We had a fling! A one night stand when I was upset and you decided to take advantage and cheat on your wife."

"It lasted longer than that." He pointed out.

"Barely." Diana spat. The slight argument had her forget about Stella and she turned on her heels and rushed for the safety of the bathroom. Yes, she had a fling with the principal of the school the day she found out about her disease. She was tired, upset and he came by to cheer her up. It led to 'terrible' things. Just enough to satisfy them both but not enough to cause love or any emotional attachment. On her part, anyways. After she found out her was married, she immediately broke off whatever they had together. Instantly he put up a facade and acted as though he hated her but...deep down? Who knew.

Closing a stall door behind her, Diana leaned against one of the poorly painted green walls with a sigh. Things just seemed to get so terrible lately. What if he told somebody? Like Stella? Yes, he would get hurt with his reputation but what would that make her? A mistress...Oh God.
    Paige
    Paige
    Newcomer

Post by Paige Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:58 pm

"Yeah, maybe, but I'd like it if-"

Stella was totally just cut off by the principal, who was ignoring her to a huge degree. Not that she cared. Stella was already done with this school, as she decided last night. After this teacher came back, she was moving to a different job. Of course, she'd keep in touch with Diana just because, but the other people she could care less about, and the same for her! So Stella wanted to move on, sooner rather then later.

Staring after the two, Stella was left to stand there dumbfounded as she realized that something important was going on, and it wasn't school related. If it was, things could have been said in front of Stella. Curious, she made her way to the door watching as things unfolded outside. Standing at the frame on the corner, looking out cautiously, Stella caught the last few words spoken. "It lasted longer then that." And then, "Barely." Diana was walking away by then, and Stella only had two choices. One, let Diana go and deal with whatever on her own because she hadn't recognized that Stella was still in the room. Or two, go after Diana and figure out what just happened.

Waiting a few seconds, the principal stalked away, talking to some other teachers. Stella took that as a chance to slip out, tucking the dollars into the waistband of her skirt. This time, Stella was confident in her approaching of Diana, and she didn't hesitate to open the door. "Diana?" Stella raised an eyebrow, looking under the stalls to find her feet. Knocking lightly on the one she was in, Stella sighed. "What was that all about? Rumors be damned, I wanna know what they think of us."
    baretteknee
    baretteknee
    Newcomer

Post by baretteknee Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:18 pm

Gosh, she had forgotten all about Stella in the midst of her argument with principal Leonard. When the woman found her stall and asked her questions, Diana realized how shitty she acted towards Stella. Barely acknowledging her attempts at friendship! They would go to the planetarium, she would make it all up to her because, well, she deserved it. Grabbing a wad of toilet paper, Diana opened the door and pushed her way out and towards the sinks. Her makeup was running from the tears she never realized were rushing down her cheeks. Harshly wiping at the leaking black of the eyeliner, Di decided on telling the truth.

"They think we're sleeping together because of Nadine and her stupid mouth." She hissed, turning around to face Stella. "It has probably gone around the entire faculty by now. I know you don't care but I care! You get to leave soon...whenever that teacher comes back, you get to leave. I have to stay here and face my mistakes and the people I've dealt with will just keep coming back and..." Ugh, she was tired of talking.

Turning back to face the mirror, Diana finished wiping her tears away. Anger was replacing the sadness, really. "I slept with Michael Leonard, the Principal here. More than once. He never told me he was married and I was vulnerable after just finding out that I was Bi Polar. I needed physical touch and there he was, my knight in shining armor...He's jealous of you." She sighed. "He thinks I'm looking for another intimate relationship to satisfy my loneliness and he's pissed that I didn't choose him."
    Paige
    Paige
    Newcomer

Post by Paige Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:23 pm

Stella flattened herself against the wall, giving Diana some space. She listened with all ears, even offering a devilish grin at the fact Nadine thought they were sleeping together. Stella loved rumors. They were the best. Really, they could be anything, and Stella would just go along with them. She could be whoever she wanted to be - and whoever they wanted her to be- with the rumors. Call it rolling with the punches, or some other metaphor, but Stella was all for some fun. Hey, what if the rumors turned out to be true? That would give her an additional reason to smile. (Not that she needed it.)

"You could always get another job." Stella pointed out. Diana probably wouldn't take well to that, but it was Stella's only suggestion. She ran a hand through her hair, not quite sure what to make of Diana's explination of the principal. While it was slightly flattering to be jealous of, Stella knew it wasn't her beauty but rather of the fact she just wasn't him. Hmph. Stella pouted a bit. "Let him be jealous, who cares. Unless you care." She gave Diana a sideways glance, unsure of how Diana was going to take this situation.

Then Stella looked away, folding her arms across her chest as she leaned against the wall. "I'll stop hanging around you if you want the rumors to go away." She concluded quietly, staring at her toes. Stella liked Diana. She wanted to be Diana's friend. She wanted to still have lunch and share talks and make things for each other and just be cute best friends. But if Diana was going to have issues with chatty people and obnoxious women and ex flames, maybe they should just stop where they were. Stella knew that it was all a part of socializing, and she had enough ex lovers to fill a few good story lines. She had had confrontations before. Was Diana willing to make people get overthemselves?
    baretteknee
    baretteknee
    Newcomer

Post by baretteknee Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:52 pm

"I've been here for quite a while. Now I have tenure and I was offered a job as Assistant Principal, which I turned down of course because I love the kids so much. I love teaching." She sighed. "I can't leave because of some petty rumors and flings. Besides, interview questions sometimes come up with 'why did you leave your last job?' and I certainly can't tell them that everybody hates me because I have mental issues. I'm lucky I got past the testing they put teachers through in the first place." Leaning back against the cold edge of one of the sinks, Di focused on Stella, frowning. "I do care. Of course I do. You should have known that already."

Diana cared about every little rumor flooding around that school, even when it wasn't about her. She felt terrible when a new, cruel joke was played. The elementary school was just like a high school and although she was tired of the faculty, she loved the children with a passion. "For a small amount of time, Michael cared for me, you know. At the Open House, I threw a desk at him, as Nadine told you. It was a small desk, single for a child. That night he took me to the free clinic, open 24 hours. He sat with me for hours until I forced him to go home." Two days later he came to her and helped her through it, even though it wasn't with the safest, or best method of help.

Sex was fun, though.

"I dont want you to stop hanging out with me." She paused, staring down at the tiles. "But I don't want them to think we've been sleeping together in the bathroom. The reputation I already have just seems to be getting worse as the days go by." Glancing at the door, she spotted a shadow move across the slit underneath. They were listening in and she would bet any amount of money it was Nadine or one of her groupies. Silently moving to the door, she ripped it open to find nobody was there. Either they left or she was going crazy. Paranoid.
    Paige
    Paige
    Newcomer

Post by Paige Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:56 pm

"Oh." It was the only thing that Stella could get out. She returned to studying the ground, scuffing her heel on the tile. She didn't know what else to tell Diana. Maybe this whole friendship thing was going to be more trouble then it was worth. Should she even bother? Stella wasn't a big fan of high school, even when she was back in those years. Shrugging lightly, Stella only looked up when Diana opened the door. No one was there.
    Taking a deep breath, Stella pushed away from the wall, rising to her full height. Michael sounded like, from Diana's description, that he cared about her to some extent. Maybe she should just get over it. Diana wasn't going to like her or anything like that. And it wasn't like Stella could even think about those things. She was supposed to be Diana's friend. How could she do that if she felt even a small pang of jealousy just hearing about how she slept with the principal?

Examining her nails more closely then neccessary, Stella moved toward the door. This was stupid, the way her lips pulled into a frown at the thought of Michael and Diana kissing. The way she was trying so hard not to bad-mouth him right now. Stella didn't even compare to him, she was sure of it. Okay, so she was a great person and all that, but it didn't mean anything when you were successful in what you did best. Finally dropping her hand, she looked up at Diana.

"I don't know how the rumors are going to stop then. Unless they catch you kissing him again, or something." She stepped toward the door, holding it open. "Tell me what you want to do, Diana, because I don't want to make you upset. I'll be perfectly fine with anything they say about me."
    baretteknee
    baretteknee
    Newcomer

Post by baretteknee Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:05 pm

Stella seemed so laid back and uncaring about the rumors rushing across the grapevine. Why couldn't Diana be like that? Just go with the flow or the punches or whatever the saying was. So, the faculty wanted to make up cruel things about others to make themselves feel better. Who cared? The only reason they continued to attack Di was because she reacted so pleasingly. She took it, like the bullied kid always did, and harbored each rumor in her mind to force on peices of self pity. Self destruction. If she could just act a bit more like this new woman, they would most likely back off to another emotionally unstable teacher.

"I'm not going to kiss him again." She informed the other teacher, nodding as though that would make it even more true. Di had absolutely no desire to get back into bed with Michael. Yes, he cared to an extent but she wasn't looking for a relationship with a man. Who knew if she was looking for a relationship at all. She certainly wasn't seeking out a fling.

Pausing to think, she realized what she wanted to do more than anything. With her right hand, she reached out and lightly grasped Stella's arm. "I'm taking you to the planetarium tonight. My treat." Screw the weekend. If anything was going to get done, it was going to happen sooner rather than later. "If you want to, of course. You deserve to finally see the wonders of the stars and planets and such."
    Paige
    Paige
    Newcomer

Post by Paige Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:43 pm

Freezing at Diana's touch, Stella turned to face, expression going soft. There was warmth between them, and Stella could feel her skin tingle against Diana's hand and she had no idea what to make of it. She hadn't eaten anything all day, it was probably just her stomach getting to her head. Looking up at Diana's face, however, Stella smiled wide. Her words made her happy, and Diana sounded happy about it.

"Tonight?" Stella echoed. "Are you sure? I mean, I'd definitely love to and everything!" She brightened considerably at the thought. This wasn't a date or anything, but it was doing something with a coworker outside of school. A sweet gesture, Stella was glad that Diana decided not to wait. Of course, she wouldn't let it be exactly Diana's treat. Stella would make it up to her, she was sure of that. They would have a good time.

She didn't want to move, but the bell signaling lunch would be over rang then, and Stella had to go back to her class. Sliding away from Diana, she gave the other woman a bright smile. "Shall I meet you there at...?" Stella wasn't sure what Diana wanted to do, or how she wanted to take this. There were many variations of get togethers and dates, and the last thing Stella wanted to do was interpret this the wrong way.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 7:38 am